Re: tracking lilypond builds with git

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: tracking lilypond builds with git
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 21:47:24 +0200

Hi,

2013/4/7 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł"
>> However, i'd be very interested in seeing a solution for this (i.e.
>> how to efficiently store lily executables in a repository).
>
> Not convinced it's worth doing.  The point of a repository is the ability to
> track change.  If that's of no value (and it isn't with binaries) then you
> might as well just have a set of directories: build_2_16_0, build_2_17_10
> etc.  That's effectively what I do on my Windows box, and on GUB.

yeah, i do that too (had 20+ builds at one point of time).  However, i
think that David's idea was to have a snapshot of binaries for *every*
commit in recent history.  That would be awesome, but with hundreds of
commits each adding a few dozen MB it won't be reasonable.

2013/4/7 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Not convinced it's worth doing.  The point of a repository is the
>> ability to track change.
>
> Well, the ability to save storage place is also nice.  And you can still
> do git bisect...

yeah, that would be very valuable, but would work only if we had
builds for every commit.

Janek