Re: musicxml2ly enhancements

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 08:49:45 +0200

Jacques Menu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello folks,
>
> I've been experimenting with Sibelius 7.1.3 as a front-end to Lily,
> i.e. as a note input engine.
>
> This lead me to fix some issues in musicxml2ly:
>       - the comment bar number at the end of regular lines is one
> too much;

I don't see that.  It is the number that would be printed above the bar.

>       - it's missing when a \ barNumberCheck is present;

Because then the bar number is given by the \barNumberCheck command.

>       - musicxml2ly crashes if there's no title specified in the XML
>       file.

That's certainly an error.

> The first two points are important to me since they help locating the
> guilty lines (it's cumbersome to have to do the math each time you
> switch from an error message to the .ly file).

Math?  You just look for the right bar number and then read on from
there.

> Compare the 2.16.2 original with the modified version used on the
> attached file:
>
> <     \clef "treble" \key c \major \numericTimeSignature\time 4/4
> <     \pageBreak a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 2
> <     \key c \major a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 3
> <     a4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 4
> <     g1 | % 5
> <     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 6
> <     g1 \break | % 7
> <     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 8
> <     g1 | % 9
> <     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | \barNumberCheck #10
> <     g1 | % 11
> <     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 12

Looks consistent to me.

>>     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 9
>>     g1 | \barNumberCheck #11 % 10
>>     a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 11

Not exactly an improvement here, is it?

> I could spend time on the TODOs mentioned in the code, hence my
> question: is there work going on on musicxml2ly, and if so, can I
> contribute to it?

Wouldn't it be even more important to contribute to it if there was _no_
work going on on musicxml2ly?

Currently there is not much happening with it.  The Philomelos guys have
their own fork of it, but so far not much has been reintegrated into
LilyPond IIRC.

--
David Kastrup