Re: musicxml2ly enhancements

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 11:20:13 +0200

Jacques Menu TvTMail <address@hidden> writes:

> The math I mentioned is because I interpreted the bar number in:
>
> a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 | % 6
>
> as a help to locate the offending bar number…

Well, it is a help but probably not immediately what you'd like best.  I
think it is reasonable to have bar checks at the end of a line where
they don't distract from the content, and putting the comment containing
the bar number with it makes sense.  It is no accident that
\barNumberCheck fits well with that numbering.  Putting the bar number
at the start of the line would require

  %{ 5 %} a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |

instead.

> David, sorry I offended you about work going on.

No offense was taken.  What might have looked like offense was just my
personal rendition of "playful banter".  I might be somewhat
overspecialized regarding the roles I play.

> I've got only one experience in open software contributions so far,
> which lead to a dead-end: these guys didn't even answer to my
> proposal...
>
> I'll be glad to help on musicxml2ly, with guidance from Patrick or
> others as to how to proceed.

We have a "contributor's guide" for LilyPond in the documentation, it
outlines the general procedures pretty well.

I doubt you'll get much tutoring regarding musicxml2ly itself.  Like
with many other areas of LilyPond, work being done on it is spotty
enough that one can't really talk about coordinated efforts.  That does
not mean that organizing a concerted effort might not be a good idea,
but it might require a better overview over potential players and the
involved code passages and how to best approach them (or replace them)
than just fixing a few of your personal pet peeves might.  So it is
probably easiest to just try starting to work on those, and look for the
greater picture once you get more of a feeling for how things work.

There is also a certain likelihood of getting the "these guys didn't
even answer to my proposal..." impression: a large ratio of currently
active developers is mainly focused on their own projects.  We have a
"bug squad" that tries to make sure that no contributions fall through
the cracks, but even if things are tracked in the issue tracker, at some
point of time somebody needs to pick them up.

--
David Kastrup