Re: musicxml2ly enhancements

From: lists
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:59:20 +0200

OK. Please consider my suggestion as obsolete, but I'd like to clarify what I intended to say (but obviously failed to do so)

Quoting David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Would something like

address@hidden a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |

be an option?

The combination'%@' would indicate that the next token is meant as a
measure number (or any other pointer to the structure of the content).

Except that inside of comments, there is no such thing as a "token".
Which is part of a comment's appeal.  And a comment that is a "pointer
to the structure of the content"?  I don't see how a comment be any such
thing, but then I have a problem parsing this parenthetical addition
anyway.
What I thought of was that
  %@
would assume an implicit closing tag after the next white space, so you can write
  address@hidden (the underscore meaning a space character)
instead of
  %{ 5 %}
so that the rest of the line is considered as non-comment.

That probably was a silly idea because its only real advantage is some slightly less typing.

Of course it was misleading to use 'keywords' like pointer etc. I meant special comments that indicate a measure number or any other indicator of a musical structure (e.g. partI, verse, coda etc.)

An editor could use such entries (i.e. specific syntax, starting at
the beginning of a line) to create a document outline, e.g. point to
@5 entries in all parts.

You lost me _way_ back.

Of course I know that syntax changes shouldn't be taken lightly,
though ...

There is nobody keeping you to put whatever editor-hinting comments into
your LilyPond source file using the existing comment syntax.  I don't
see what another comment syntax would buy you in that regard, though.
You're probably right.
Everything I could want could also be achieved with the existing command syntax.

Urs

--
David Kastrup