Re: Question about left-aligning syllables at beginning of lines

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Question about left-aligning syllables at beginning of lines
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 08:20:28 -0400

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm working on a hymnal/psalter project and ideally would like to justify both the left and right edges of each line of lyrics. I'm willing to settle for the left edge, if the right edge is too cumbersome to do. I manually right-justified the last syllables on one psalm, but hard right justification doesn't look good since it puts the right edge under the notehead. My concern with fractional right justification is that if it is proportional (setting the alignment to #0.5 justifies halfway between center and right, relative to the width of the syllable), I'll still end up with a ragged line.

Thanks,
Carl

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
2013/4/9 Carl Peterson <address@hidden>:
> I know this question has been posed before on this list, but either there
> wasn't a definitive answer that I could find or I just couldn't understand
> it. I know that I can manually trigger left-aligning syllables at the
> beginning of lines, using
>
> \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
>
> However, is there a way to tell Lilypond to do this with the first syllable
> of every line?

Why would you want to do that? (i'm asking because there may be a
better solution if i know your motivation)
Janek