Re: Rests in TabVoice

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Rests in TabVoice
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 15:30:11 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Crighton" <address@hidden>
To: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:48 PM

2013/4/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>

Peter Crighton <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> would it be possible to attach rests in a TabVoice to a different
> line? At least whole and half rests look terribly vertically
> off-centered, especially in four-line staffs, and they would benefit
> from being attached one line lower.
> Other rests might appear too low then, but I would like to know if I
> at least can try this out to see what’s best.

Version?  Example file exhibiting the problem?

I’m sorry, I forgot:

\version "2.16.2"

<<
 \new TabStaff <<
   \new TabVoice {
     \tabFullNotation
     R1 r2 r4 r8 r16 r
   }

 \new TabStaff \with {
   stringTunings = #bass-tuning
 } <<
   \new TabVoice {
     \tabFullNotation
     R1 r2 r4 r8 r16 r
   }

Probably the ideal solution would be to have whole and half rests one
line lower and all other rests centered between the two lines in the
middle.

The standard way of shifting rests (using note name followed by \rest ) does work, although I'm rather mystified about how lily decides where to set the rest:
\version "2.16.0"

<<
 \new TabStaff <<
   \new TabVoice {
     \tabFullNotation
     R1 r1 r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r
   }

 \new TabStaff \with {
   stringTunings = #bass-tuning
 } <<
   \new TabVoice {
     \tabFullNotation
     R1 r1 r2 r4 r8 r16 r32 r a'1\rest a'2\rest r4 r8 r16 r32 r
   }

My guess would be that you can change the position of MMRs in the same way as with standard notation.

--
Phil Holmes