Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possible in Fin ale and Sibelius

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possible in Fin ale and Sibelius
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:26:13 +0200

2013/4/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Huh?  The perfectly rendered stafflines make it clear that this is not a
>>> scanned image.  But clef, noteheads and text are rendered _appallingly_
>>> awful, like it would be dithering the stroke widths.
>>
>> Have you seen http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2658 ?
>> *That's* appalling - and it's how LilyPond output is rendered :( :( :(
>> (image attached)
>> It's sad that there are no comments on this issue after 9 months :(
>
> "Zoomed after taking screenshot" does not impress me all that much.  It
> involves a _viewer_ and _zooming_.
>
> _Most_ _definitely_ _not_ the default way to produce PNG.

My point is not in making PNGs, but in how Lily output is displayed on
screen.  If you say that PNGs from Sibelius look appalling, i say that
pdfs from LilyPond look 10 times more appalling (when viewed on
screen; they're not so appalling when printed, but the problem still
exists).

2013/4/9 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

>> It's a very hard problem and probably not solvable.
>
> Ah, I misread, sorry.  Yes, it might be worth to test with line
> strokes.

I find it most interesting that apparently there is some way to solve
this problem.  If line strokes render perfectly, why rounded
rectangles don't?

Janek