Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possible in Finale and Sibelius

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possible in Finale and Sibelius
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 20:47:54 +0200

On 04/09/2013 08:26 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
2013/4/9 Werner LEMBERG<address@hidden>:

It's a very hard problem and probably not solvable.

Ah, I misread, sorry.  Yes, it might be worth to test with line
strokes.

I find it most interesting that apparently there is some way to solve
this problem.  If line strokes render perfectly, why rounded
rectangles don't?

A completely random guess from an almost, but not quite, entirely clueless person: because lines have a unique direction, while rectangles have two. Hence, for a rectangle one of the two choices is bogus. It might be clever for one type of documents (e.g, Lilypond scores with lots of stems) to take the smaller extent as stroke width, but you never know about the side effects for other documents. And that's why they don't do it. Besides, rectangles bound /regions,/ and I see a valid point in not willfully changing regions or areas. For lines, it's slightly more likely that the designer intended the object to be a line than for rectangles.

But it might just be that this SA thingie has to be set: <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-06/msg00275.html>

As I said, I'm clueless...

Just my 2 pennies,
Alexander