Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possiblein Final e and Sibelius

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possiblein Final e and Sibelius
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:34:07 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:49 PM

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

    It seems this is Sibelius 7's default. See attached PNG.

Huh?  The perfectly rendered stafflines make it clear that this is not a
scanned image.  But clef, noteheads and text are rendered _appallingly_
awful, like it would be dithering the stroke widths.

Hopefully not the default way to produce PNG?

--
David Kastrup

I commented in an earlier message that Sibelius, IMHO, produces witheringly appalling graphics output. Unaliased, with stems that attach to noteheads poorly. The image I attached earlier was not scanned, but used Sibelius's export to PNG function at nominal 300 dpi. This is its attempt at 1200 dpi. Lilypond is clearly better (except at cropping - see http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=720 for a number of examples of this).

--
Phil Holmes