RE: musicxml2ly enhancements

From: Curt McDowell
Subject: RE: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 02:02:18 -0700

How about allowing bar numbers as a letter+number, parsed similar to musical
note+duration:
        B78 a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
        B79 e,4 ( f4 ) ( g4 ) a4 |
Perhaps they could also double as bar checks:
        B78 a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4
        B79 e,4 ( f4 ) ( g4 ) a4
Or alternately, augment the existing bar check to allow an optional value:
        a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |78
        e,4 ( f4 ) ( g4 ) a4 |79
Or (to taste):
        |78  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4
        |79  e,4 ( f4 ) ( g4 ) a4
The actual bar numbers might be ignored initially, but eventually
- they might be the numbers printed
- bar checks might also verify that bar numbers match across staves, voices,
\alternatives.

Having already entered some large pieces, I only recently discovered
Frescobaldi. What a wonderful program. The point-and-click cursor matching
between source and PDF nearly obviates the need for measure numbers. I wish I'd
found it sooner!

Cheers,
-Curt