Re: musicxml2ly enhancements

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:28:45 +0200 (CEST)

>>> Indeed, but i find it unreadable, especially if it was placed at
>>> every line.

Really?  It's like having a BASIC program which always starts with a
line number:

  %{  1 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  2 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  3 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  4 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  5 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  6 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  7 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  8 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{  9 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
  %{ 10 %}  a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |

As mentioned earlier, I don't like to type this, but having such a
format returned by musicxml2ly is good IMHO.  After some time you get
used to it, and line numbers are only looked at if you really need
them.

> In general I think tools like musicxml2ly and other programs that
> convert to or export .ly files (xxx2ly, mscore, denemo, rosegarden)
> should do their best to make the lilypond output look like it was
> handwritten by a "real" human lilypond user and likewise should be
> easily readable and editable by a real human.  With proper
> formatting, indentation, and coding style.

I fully agree.

    Werner