Re: Vocal music sheet - hyphens wrongly engraved

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Vocal music sheet - hyphens wrongly engraved
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:08:25 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:43 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

Jun,

There are a number of "challenges" with this song file.  It's these
that produce the errors rather than versions of lilypond.  I thought it
might be better to run through the errors and their fixes line by line
- hopefully this will help you into the future.  I'll put my commented
fixes in a different colour, and apologise to those who don't get on
with HTML or top posting....  Here's the logfile output:

GNU LilyPond 2.16.0
Processing `D:/Music/NWC2Ly/Though Your Sins Be as Scarlet.ly'
Parsing...
D:/Music/NWC2Ly/Though Your Sins Be as Scarlet.ly:12:168: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here title = \markup \fill-line { \line {} \line { Source: Pentecostal Hymns Nos. 1 and 2 Combined, by Henry Date (Chicago, Illinois: The Hope Publishing Company, 1894), #

427.} }

D:/Music/NWC2Ly/Though Your Sins Be as Scarlet.ly:12:167: error: not a markup title = \markup \fill-line { \line {} \line { Source: Pentecostal Hymns Nos. 1 and 2 Combined, by Henry Date (Chicago, Illinois: The Hope Publishing Company, 1894),

# 427.} }

This is a problem with the information in your file - the comments
include a #, which is a reserved character for lilypond.  I could add
a feature to my converter to allow this, but the simplest fix is to
change # to No.

Why aren't you enclosing strings in "..." ?  That seems to make much
more sense.

--
David Kastrup

As a general comment - I've not done much with my converter to use the "comments" field of Noteworthy. So I've not put the strings within ".." because I've never really tackled that part of the conversion. IIRC there are often problems with simply enclosing everything in ".." - word wrap, for example.

--
Phil Holmes