Re: Fingering not aligned in 2.17, ok in 2.16

From: dra
Subject: Re: Fingering not aligned in 2.17, ok in 2.16
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:14:34 -0400

On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 15:06 +0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG wrote Friday, March 22, 2013 1:31 PM
> >
> >> See below. In 2.16.2, the fingering indications are vertically
> >> aligned.  In 2.17.14, they aren't.
> >>
> >> \relative f'' {
> >>   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
> >>   <cis-1 a-1 e-1>4
> >> }
> >
> > Do you consider this a bug?  Actually, I like the new behaviour
> > better.  What does the literature say?
>
> Gould says for guitar fingering:
>
> "Place fingering right beside the note head, ideally in front of,
> or above, the note.  It may be placed within the stave, if
> necessary, as long as it is legible."

This is bad. Who is Gould? When there are two stem directions
in play, the number is best placed before or below, but
a number should NEVER be placed right after a note. A string
indication is usually better in front of the end of the stem.

<-|\/ all good; -> no good, and the source of many errors
in published works when the engraver made the number closer
to the note following the note intended.

Also, the fingering should flow. So should augmentation dots
when there is but a single voice. That means that dots in
spaces should be in the direction of the next note.
That rule seems to have been forgotten. Lilypond should
revive it. Eye flow is a very important consideration in
visual arts, and music engravers used to take it very
seriously. Shouldn't software too??

> For piano fingering, she says:
>
> "The general principle is to place fingering as close as possible
> to the relevant notes: directly above or below, in front or even
> after them.  Numerals should be clear of the stave unless
> absolutely necessary.  It is usual for right-hand fingering to go
> above the treble stave, left-hand fingering below the bass stave,
> keeping the middle of the system clear for dynamics.  However,
> fingering for inner parts is usually best placed at the stem ends
> so as to be close to these notes."
>
> She says nothing about aligning fingering vertically, but in the
> examples of piano and guitar music the fingering _is_ all aligned
> vertically, even for chords with some notes displaced and chords
> with accidentals before some notes.

She is more interested in making things easy for software
makers than making legible scores.

There is no such thing as an authority on music notation,
especially that for guitar.

Regards, daveA

--
Guitar teaching materials and original music for all styles and levels.
Site: http://www.openguitar.com (()) eMail: address@hidden