Re: Newbie problems

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Newbie problems
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 00:21:49 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> When using Emacs, C-h i is just two keystrokes away.No need to reserve
> additional space for the info manual.

Because C-x b is the most fun in the world...

Frescobaldi has a tabbed panel to the right, which displays the
generated PDF by default. The other tab browses local or online
Lilypond documentation.

FWIW, I started out by using emacs to edit my Lilypond files,
but found problems. Auto-indentation was hit or miss, and the
auto-completion dictionary has some major gaps. After Frescobaldi 2
came out, I switched and never looked back. Frescobaldi's auto-
completion is really second to none. It seems to be reasonably
aware of context in a way that emacs Lilypond-mode isn't. This
is especially evident when it comes to overriding properties,
where it presents completion options that are appropriate for
the object being overridden and does not present options that
belong only to other objects. This is a massive time saver
for those of us who are not like David K and do not have the
entire Lilypond object structure living in our brains :-P

hjh