Re: Lyric placement and tempo woes

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Lyric placement and tempo woes
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:59:45 +0200

Am 16.04.2013 17:58, schrieb Peter Toye:
> Phil,
>
> Don't quite understand this, but that's the problem with being a newbie.
> I'd have thought that markings all referred to the next block.

Hi Phil,

I will try to explain. No, these "markings" (as you call them; \tempo,
\clef, etc.) are valid for their position within the current music (=the
current block). If they are not enclosed by {}, they form a music
expression themself.

I comment your code a bit more:
> <<
Ok, new parallel music starts.

>   \new Staff  \with
>   {
>     instrumentName = "Julia"
>     shortInstrumentName = "J"
>   }
That's perfectly fine up to now.
>   { \clef "treble" \key f \minor \time 4/4 \relative c''
Here your staff content starts after {
As you do not state that explicitely, you have a voice starting here.
You tell Lilypond that this staff should be displayed with a treble
clef, in f minor and 4/4 measure.
Then you advise Lilypond to count the pitches in the *following* music
expression relatively to the c''.

> %    \tempo "Allegretto con moto"
If you remove the %, the following music expression is this tempo
command and relative only applies to it (and to nothing else).
>     {
>       R1 | af4(\mp bf c) f | ef8( df8) c4 df8( c) bf4 | c2 r2 |
>       R1 | af4( bf c)\< f \!| c8( bf) af4 g8( f) d4\> | f2\! r2 |
>
>     }
If you keep the comment, this block is the next music expression and the
relative command applies to this block.
Within the first music expression you start a new one, a new block so to
speak. This is ok, like in math:
 (1 + (2 +3)) is the same as (1 + 2 + 3)
If you had put the \tempo (and perhaps all the other "markings") inside
the relative block, there would have been no commenting-problem.
>     \addlyrics
>     {
>       Gold -- en slum -- bers  kiss  your eyes,
>       Smiles a -- wake you when you rise
>     }
As others have written, this must be placed outside the staff.
>   }

and so on...

I hope this made things clearer.
Cheers,