Re: Line break problem (overfull)

From: Hanns Holger Rutz
Subject: Re: Line break problem (overfull)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:02:30 +0200

On 17 Apr 2013, at 15:52, David Kastrup wrote:

> Hanns Holger Rutz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> hi there,
>>
>> i'm trying to convert a sequence of time instants to a rhythmic
>> score. This might look strange (see below), but is perfectly valid my
>> scenario. Unfortunately there is an issue with the line breaks. In the
>> below example, their is a break after the first bar (why?)
>
> Because that's the only valid place you leave for LilyPond.  LilyPond
> does not break in the middle of a note.

so it doesn't automatically introduce a tie if a note spreads across a bar
boundary, is that what you are saying?

if so,

- can I introduce that behaviour (without manually having to break up the notes)
- can I disable the bar measure at all?

>> and then subsequently there aren't any useful breaks,
>
> See, you agree with LilyPond here.

No I don't. I see a lot of uesful breaks, but Lilypond doesn't resort to any of
them.

>> making the lines become overfull.
>>
>> It gets worse if I enable proportional durations (which I actually would
>> like to do), where the last line gets crammed with overlapping notes.
>>
>> any clues what I'm doing wrong / how to this?
>>
>> thanks, .h.h.
>
> \layout
> {
> \context {