Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:50:39 +0100

Urs Liska writes:

> Hi,
>
> today I finished the first draft of a paper on a plain text file based
> toolchain for writing (about) music. The target audience are people who
> regularely author such documents but aren't converted yet to 'our'
> approach to authoring.
> The text doesn't provide material to 'getting started' but is intended
> as a mere presentation with the goal of making the target audience
> curious and to give it a try.

Your paper reads well and the presentation is very clear. The appearance
is attractive.

Based on five minutes of reading the paper, Urs, I have a couple of
questions for you.

What is your motivation for writing the document? I can make more
relevant comments if I know your aims.

Can you be more specific about your audience?

To me your paper seems to be pitched very well for someone who is
already interested in these ideas but needs guidance. In other words,
someone who would benefit from this Lilypond library.

I suggest you make a brief, clear statement on the first page of the
problem that is solved by a text-based approach. Speak from the heart,
perhaps drawing on your own experience directly.

Can you avoid having the licencing and credits on the first page? I
found that distracting.

Here is a piece of opinion from me, so you know my position. Users of
WYSIWYG engraving software accept the shortcomings because it is quick
and effective. Users of text-based approaches accept the additional
effort required because they are perfectionists.

Cheers,
Colin.

--
Colin Hall