Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:07:52 +0100

David Kastrup writes:

> Colin Hall <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Here is a piece of opinion from me, so you know my position. Users of
>> WYSIWYG engraving software accept the shortcomings because it is quick
>> and effective. Users of text-based approaches accept the additional
>> effort required because they are perfectionists.
>
> Things like the accuracy of my mouse
> positioning don't figure into the result.

Yes. Very concise, David.

> Old scores of mine keep getting better without me having to invest any
> work into any of them.  That's hard to beat if they are "good enough" to
> start with.  And if you are lazy like me, you won't invest much work of
> your own beyond "good enough" into any individual score.

Agreed. This is a benefit I enjoy every time I use Lilypond today, a
result of investing time (the effort to which I originally referred) to
learn the tool.

There seems to be a parallel with the acquisition of performance skills
on one's instrument here. An investment of practice time to gain an
ability for effortless execution. Urs, perhaps you could use that
somewhat imperfect analogy?

Cheers,
Colin.

--