Re: Setting X-offset and Y-offset graphically.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Setting X-offset and Y-offset graphically.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:17:57 +0100

On Sun, 2013-04-21 at 10:38 +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> 2013/4/19 Richard Shann <address@hidden>:
> > Here is a short demo showing dragging the shape of a slur in Denemo
> >
> > https://vimeo.com/64408182
> >
> > The code to do this is in Denemo's git repository now.
>
> Wow!!  You know, i almost cried when watching :)
> You are using \shape to store modifications to the control points in
> the source code?

Sadly, the output looks like this:

\once \override Slur
      #'control-points = #'((0.66 . 0.86) (1.84 . 5.66) (5.92 . 3.68)
(7.83 . 2.5)) a'8( b' c'' d'')

what would be the nicest syntax using that data?

I very much need someone to look over the Denemo LilyPond output to
suggest how it could be made nicer for those going on to edit it
directly. There is an issue with using Tabs, but most of the awkward
syntax is a combination of history (I still have Denemo scores
announcing that they were typeset with Lilypond 2.6.5!) and ignorance...

There are issues with curve shaping - the red markers for the curve
shape are considered by LilyPond when it is doing collision avoidance,
so sometimes the score you are editing is not the same as it would be
without the markers. It would be possible I suspect to work without the
markers - just guessing at likely curve control points to give an
initial shape and then dragging them to improve the shape. LilyPond may
still move everything to accommodate your new shape, but that's ok, it's
not Inkscape.

BTW I, too, like the way my ancient Denemo scores now print out even
more beautifully than ten years ago, thanks to LilyPond's steady
improvements.

Richard