Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper

From: Klaus Föhl
Subject: Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:54:08 +0000 (UTC)

Urs Liska tippte:
> I think the quality of output is less a selling point compared to the
> 'big players' than the organizational potential inherent in the text format.

As I learned the other week (maybe more in Musikmesse thread),
publishing houses have invested quite some effort in music
"looking" good (meaning their "engravers" have been pushing
graphical objects around), and in an export to transfer format -
import from transfer format such tweaks should be preserved.

So also perfectionists in some sense, but on a different level.

If something goes pear-shaped, one selling pitch for MusicXML
was inspectability (you can open a text editor and start reading).

But the fact that encoding looks different from the rendering
may not be familiar with everyone, so WYSIWYG display "is" the content
(and unfortunately more, not visible, lost at reformatting stages)
as it shows staff, notes and stems instead of just some boring text.

There are some decision makers familiar with the technical nitty-gritty,
but I presume not all of them have been educated yet of what is going on
behind the scenes. Why should you when you can buy ready-to-use software?

Klaus