Re: Setting X-offset and Y-offset graphically.

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Setting X-offset and Y-offset graphically.
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:23:49 +0200

2013/4/23 Richard Shann <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 17:49 +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> What about this: ask the user to drag the control points.  Then he
>> doesn't have to click precisely on the control point.
>
> ... well, continuing from my email in response to Urs
> Denemo does not know where anything is until told. So if you click near
> the first control point Denemo cannot draw the curve, so you get no
> visualization of the shape...

aah.  That's a pity.

>> In more detail:
>> - user enters slur editing mode, control points appear.
>> - user clicks near first control point
>> - holding the mouse button down, he moves the cursor 2 units
>> horizontally and 1 unit vertically, then he releases the button.
> this is the point where no newly drawn curve can be shown by Denemo
> because it does not know where the other control points are.

Could you please insert blank lines between quoted message and your
reply?  I've almost overlooked it.
Anyway, to me this feature would be helpful even without new curve
preview - i've shaped so many slurs that my brain learned how to
calculate bezier curves with quite good precision :)
But a preview would obviously be very helpful.

Hey, i have an idea: what about conbining both approaches?
- user enters slur editing mode, control points appear.
- user clicks on first control point
- holding the mouse button down, he moves the cursor 2 units
horizontally and 1 unit vertically, then he releases the button -
Denemo uses this release position as an approximation of resulting
control point position (i.e. where the control point will be after
\shape moves it)
- this becomes \shape #'((2 . 1) ... )
- similarly for other control points.
- with all control points done, "new shape preview" would be displayed
using information from all "release points".
- user can further tweak the curve by dragging points around.

looks brilliant! ;)
Janek