Re: MusicXML

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: MusicXML
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:52:22 +0300

On 23 avr. 2013, at 22:32, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

I think that a Python program might be a good idea:
- I'm sure there is good XML support with Python (don't really know,
though)

You're right - it is good.

- We could surely use code or experience from the musicxml2ly project.

It'd be mostly code, as the person who made it (Reinhold Kainhofer) is no longer involved in the project.

- We could probably also use code and ideas from Frescobaldi.

This is foreign territory to me.

Python is a great tool for XML creation.  There is also http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.html.  The advantage of doing it in Scheme is that you are building it directly into LilyPond.  I'd take a stab in the dark and guesstimate that 60% of the LilyPond user base that needs MusicXML export would not be comfortable running a Python script.

Cheers,
MS

Urs

        or
       should MusicXML import/export be integrated into the core LilyPond code?

       ~Chris