Re: some Musikmesse and MusicXML

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: some Musikmesse and MusicXML
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:27:21 +0200

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> Call me old-fashioned or antique, but despite their ubiquity, iPads
> and Kindles are just too small to read music from at any proper
> distance. There is a reason music scores are on large paper -
> readability. When iPads get to 235 x 310 mm screens (Klavierformat
> piano score paper size) then maybe it will be good. So I can't see
> where the convenience lies.

The size requirements decrease when the music stand does its own
page-flipping since then you have much less dormant screen estate.

However, currently the choice is between slow updating screens (not well
suited for frequent page flipping, let alone continuous scrolling) and
comparatively low-contrast devices that are not overly convenient for
concert lighting conditions.

I'm pretty sure that there are fundamental changes for music handling
possible.  But we're not there yet.

--
David Kastrup