Re: Lobbying paper follow-up

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Lobbying paper follow-up
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:44:37 +0200

generally, +1 for everything.

2013/4/25 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
> Do you know of someone
> having actually recovered from a text file suffering from a disk crash -
> and not having spent more work than starting again from scratch?

Myself, to sme extent.
I accidentally erased my whole disk and had to use file recovery
tools.  Probably due to my disk being an SSD, i got dozens of copies
of recovered files.  In case of binary/xml ones (like spreadsheets),
many of them were broken (couldn't be opened by the program), and
anyway it was very cumbersome to compare them to find the most recent
one.
In case of text files, vast majority could be opened and quite easily
compared, even the not-exactly-human-readable lyx files.

Also, i got some extensionless files, and some "clumps" that contained
parts of different files.  It was doable to grep them (e.g. searching
for lilypond or git commands) and extract useful parts (it took a lot
of time, but well... i don't even try to imagine how much work would
it be to extract and merge *parts of xml files*).

Sure, if the data was mission-critical and i had a lot of money, a
recovery company could probably rescue a lot of xml/binary data, but
it would cost a fortune.

best,
Janek