Re: MusicXML project platform

From: Curt
Subject: Re: MusicXML project platform
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 13:31:27 -0700

It seems to me that the problem (of exporting lilypond to music-xml) is
semi-stalled in the stage of identifying dependencies.  I'm an enterprise java
programmer and we often use dependency graphs to identify task relationships
and next steps.

I don't know C or Scheme but I'm tempted to try and at least understand the
details of everything that needs to be done so it could be organized in terms
of steps/tasks/stories/whatever, and maybe put some dependency graphs up on the
wiki - would that be helpful?

I guess I just have a couple of basic questions -

It sounds like the music-stream is an internal structured representation of the
music in the input file (generated after the input file is parsed).  It
contains time-sorted information but not positioning information.

Regarding the strategy of converting the music-stream to musicXML first, and
then finding other ways to add positioning information later - is that the only
viable approach for enabling MusicXML export?

Is converting the music-stream to music-xml as a "first step" a true
prerequisite to adding positioning information to the musicXML export?

If the music-stream does not have sufficient information for musicXML, is it an
option to improve the music-stream to contain more of that necessary
positioning information?  Or what about improving the layout logic to maintain
knowledge of the music-stream so the full xml export could be done at that
later stage?

If we merely export the pure "music-stream" as a first step, are we coding
ourselves into a corner?  In other words, is that creating technical debt?  Is
there an argument that another approach is really the "right way"?

Is it a hard prerequisite to add support for Guile 2.x to lilypond before we
can enable MusicXML export?

Finally, is this the best venue to discuss this?  I was always assuming that
people were already discussing this over on lilypond-devel.  Should we move all
musicXML discussions over there or to a brand new list?

My own sense after reviewing the discussions I've been able to find:

I suspect that focusing on music-stream export first is too "half-a-loaf" and
would require major rework once we add positioning.  And, that re-parsing the
input file for positioning information is not as good an option as figuring out
how to hook export logic into the lilypond positioning logic itself.  It seems
the right way is to make the positioning logic maintain knowledge of
music-stream.  And if sticking to the end-of-life version of guile makes this
development unreasonable, we should first focus on lilypond supporting
guile-2.x.

All that said, I recognize I lack perspective - thanks for any clarifications.

Thanks,
Curt