repeated time signatures

From: Urs Liska
Subject: repeated time signatures
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:02:39 +0200

The NR (1.2.3 "Displaying Rhythms") states that time signatures "are printed at the beginning of a piece and whenever the time signature changes."

But if I write

music = {
  \time 3/4
  R2.*4
  \time 3/4
  R2.
}

the time signature is printed a second time although it doesn't change (to my understanding)

a) Is this intended behaviour? And if yes, shouldn't it be documented?
b) How can I achieve that the time signature is only printed if it is actually different from the one currently in use? c) How can I achieve the same (only displaying if really changed) for key signatures and clefs?

(Background: I have a piece with _lots_ of segments that are concatenated (in order to have music variables of manageable length that can easily be edited by different people. To make the source files more explicit I want each variable definition to start with \key \time and \clef commands.)

Thanks
Urs