Re: repeated time signatures

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: repeated time signatures
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:15:13 -0500

Hi Urs,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
The NR (1.2.3 "Displaying Rhythms") states that time signatures "are printed at the beginning of a piece and whenever the time signature changes."

But if I write

music = {
  \time 3/4
  R2.*4
  \time 3/4
  R2.
}

the time signature is printed a second time although it doesn't change (to my understanding)

a) Is this intended behaviour? And if yes, shouldn't it be documented?

I would think that you should need to tell LilyPond to force the unusual situation of a redundant time signature as it's not typical practice.  It shouldn't be possible to do something unusual like this through oversight.

b) How can I achieve that the time signature is only printed if it is actually different from the one currently in use?

This question came up here:

Hopefully the engraver (see second version) still works!

c) How can I achieve the same (only displaying if really changed) for key signatures and clefs?

Possibly that engraver can be adapted.  (I can't try now as my job is calling).

Best,
David