Re: Note between bars

From: ghe
Subject: Re: Note between bars
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:16:21 +0200 (CEST)

address@hidden wrote:

I looked carefully in the Lilypond manuals, but did not find a way to put a note (usually a full or a half note) between two bars, like this : |o|, or between two double bars, like this : ||o||. This notation is for example often used in psalmody, to mean that the same note should be used for a whole sentence, except its three or four last syllables, which are then noted with usual notes. For instance, the first verse of psalm 1 is "Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked", and such a note is put under "Blessed", with three different notes under "with the wicked".

Christ van Willegen wrote:

Those are 'breve' notes. Look them up using the search box. Perhaps this will give an indication of how to write them: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms

Carl Peterson wrote:

Are you talking about a breve (using \breve instead of a duration, seeĀ http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms)? You may also be looking at cadenzas, seeĀ http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music

To put multiple syllables under one note, use quotes, as in "Blessed is the one who does not walk in step" with the wicked.

David Kastrup wrote:

<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms#durations>

<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/note-head-styles>

That was a fast answer! Many thanks, indeed I did not look carefully enough in the manual.

--ghe