Re: Breathes placement

From: ghe
Subject: Re: Breathes placement
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 15:07:41 +0200 (CEST)

the main problem with your input is, that you have overfull measures. { c d e f2 } are 5/4 in a 4/4 measure. That means, Lilypond draws and starts this f2 in the first measure, but it is still played in the second. Therefore, the breathing mark is placed where the f2 is over. How can you breathe, when the note is still sung? Are you sure, that these note durations are intended?

Yes, I know that these are overfull measures; actually most measure bars are not even drawn (I have \context { \Score defaultBarType = "empty" }, with a few \bar "|" here and there). These are indeed the intended durations; in the kind of (liturgical) music I want to typeset the exact rythms are not always respected.

I found an alternative way of achieving the same effect, which has the advantage that it is not necessary to repeat the indications for each voice:

... \time 5/4 c d e f2 \breathe \bar "" \time 4/4 ...

If you want to stick to traditional notation practice, such overfull
measures should not occur. Instead, you would write:
{ c d e f ~ f }
If you want this to be done automatically, you can have a look here:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#automatic-note-splitting

Thank you for the pointer, but alas it is not what I want to do...

--ghe