Re: mdash in markup?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: mdash in markup?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 14:18:16 +0200

Am 03.05.2013 13:59, schrieb James Harkins:

On May 3, 2013 7:29 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > How should one use &mdash; in a markup block?
>
> If you're on a Mac, it's option+shift plus the - key: —
> Don't know on other OS/keyboards.
> p.s. You can also just cut and paste the one I just typed up there… and here – is an en-dash, for future reference.

I see. I can get it from the character map application in Ubuntu.

I am puzzled, though, as the Notation Reference documents the use of html-style notation for special characters.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/list-of-special-characters

So I suppose either the software or the manual is not correct (or the manual could be correct but misleading).

Half-half I'd say.
In the first line of that page you're directed to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/special-characters#ascii-aliases
where the first example uses

\paper {
  #(include-special-characters)
}

So everything is there, but you're right it could be more explicit.

Urs

hjh