Re: is MultiMeasureRest breakable?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: is MultiMeasureRest breakable?
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 21:35:43 -0700

On Sat, 04 May 2013 19:21:23 -0700, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

What I mean is, if the barline in another [polymetric] staff falls in the
middle of a MultiMeasureRest, could Lilypond [automatically] split the measure,
perhaps putting a parenthesized MMR on the following system?

This came up not very long ago, but I had forgotten

So it is not the rests that are refusing to break across lines, but the bars
themselves.

The Bar_line_engraver does two jobs, printing barlines at the right places, and
forbidding line-breaks at all other places.  You only want the first job.  The
rule now is that a line can break when every staff has a bar (more
specifically, whenever every Bar_line_engraver says it is okay); maybe that
should be when *any* staff has a bar.