Re: writing percussion notes

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: writing percussion notes
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:04:47 -0400

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 8 May 2013 08:38:44 -0400
Carl Peterson <address@hidden> wrote:
> The end result would be two staves without grouping, one for timpani
> and another for the bass/snare.

I think you are correct except that the OP said;

> > Ok. I'v never seen percussion music so I don't even know how to
> > looks. I have to in this final assignment write for 3 timponies, 1
> > player playing them, a bass drum and symbol, one player playing
> > them and a snare.

So I think three staves if I read that right.  One for the timpani, one
for the bass drum and cymbal (not symbol, btw) and a separate one for
the snare.

Sorry, missed that...may have been the symbol vs. cymbal, but anyway...

It does seem like a strange setup.  At first I though marching band
but marching bands have one timpano per player don't they?

With marching bands it depends (I think) on the performance venue. Virtually all of my experience with marching band is field performance (such as a sports venue), where the timpani will be placed at one side of the field and played in concert setting along with keyboards, gong, chimes, etc., and the timpani will be played by a single performer (who may be doing other things, depending on how much the timpani are used). Typically when these bands parade, they leave the timpani home. I think I've read of parade bands that use timpani with one performer per drum.

It's only a strange arrangement to me in that I would have probably paired the snare and cymbal (depending on whether the cymbal is intended to be played ride or crash), but ultimately in percussion the assignment of instruments depends on which ones are being used simultaneously. In a Sousa march, you would probably need three percussionists because each instrument is used a lot and simultaneously. Many pieces may suffice with just one.