Re: many users don't know about \shape

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: many users don't know about \shape
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:52:29 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm wondering whether we should advertise \shape more.  It's
> tremendously helpful, and yet despite it had been added ~1 year ago
> (IIRC) many users don't know about it.

I'm somewhat dubious about "tremendously helpful" as it defeats
automated typesetting.  And "had been added ~1 year ago" is a short
time.  We haven't even moved the LSR to 2.16 yet.

It would be nice if the LSR offered more than a single version.  At any
rate, Ubuntu has, somewhat surprising to me, switched to 2.16.0 in
Raring Ringtail.  Fedora was there earlier already, Ubuntu stale is
probably not worth waiting for (it just moved from 2.12 to 2.14), but
Ubunty rusting is also still at 2.14 since it had been frozen for
something like a year.  Hardly surprising, that's also where
conservatively derived distributions like Trisquel are at.

At any rate, I think we are slowly arriving at a point of time where
we'd be doing more people a favor by moving the LSR on to version 2.16
as long as we can't make it provide multiple versions.

--
David Kastrup