Re: Modern custodes?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Modern custodes?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 16:22:08 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:02 PM

Is there a way to use the custodes feature of LilyPond, but with modern glyphs (for example normal notes with the \teeny size), instead of the funny medieval glyphs? I see in:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/ancient-notation_002d_002dcommon-features#custodes

that four styles are supported (vaticana, medicaea, hufnagel, mensural), but using any of these in a modern score would not be appropriate I think.

I had used mensural ones and they worked (i.e. were helpful for singing), but i'd also like to see "normal" ones supported by LilyPond.

I just grepped through the LilyPond sources. Custodes seem to be handled by three files: lily/custos.cc , lily/custos-engraver.cc , and scm/define-grobs.scm . But I do not see how to adapt them to handle other custode styles. Does anyone have an idea on how to do this? Given that the code in the C/C++ files does not depend on the particular custode style chosen, I guess that it is not necessary to modify them, and that adding another style can be done by defining or adapting a Scheme function.

Best,

--ghe

I have very little expertise with LilyPond code, but a look at custos.cc shows that it creates a name for a particular glyph as "custodes".style.up_or_down.adjustment. So to use anything other than the current styles without changing custos.cc would involve creating new glyphs, probably named something like "custodes"."modern"up_or_down.adjustment. If you wanted to use existing glyphs, you would need to change the C code.

--
Phil Holmes