Re: An idea for a systematic development of a large score.

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: An idea for a systematic development of a large score.
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:14:18 -0400

This is somewhat the approach I'm taking with my Psalter project. each
selection/hymn/psalm setting has a lyric file and a tune file. Each contains
variables such as poet, scripture reference,copyright, etc. that are relevant
and unchanging with that file. This allows me to reuse tunes with other lyrics
that have the same meter.

Each pairing of tune and lyric is combined in a score file. Because I am
creating two completely different output formats (book and slide), the score
file builds each staff and lyric as variables and then calls a score-generating
scheme function.

I then have a "main" file that includes the score files I want to use in the
finished book. When I just want to work with a single song, I comment out all
the others.

My top-level files are the files for each format. Each one includes three
files. The first one is my global settings file, which has all my shorthand
variable declarations and some other things like that. The second is a format
settings file, which contains the paper block for the edition as well as the
score-producing function for that format. The third is the main file to tell it
which songs to set up.

Cheers,
Carl