Re: Feature Request: Chromatic note names

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Chromatic note names
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 21:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

>>(Rookie scheme tip: a single quote (') is not the same as a backtick (`).
This tripped me up!)

did i use the wrong one somewhere???

ok, now... For my taste, the way i did for solving the Chromatic/traditional
notation compatibility is satisfying. Extra note names could be added so you
can input sharps and flats even though they will only appear in traditional
staff. But doesnt lilypond solves the enharmonic thing if you choose the
correct key signature and use its transposition functions?

I forgot to add my staff to the last post, i added it to the MNP-scripts
from this page: http://musicnotation.org/wiki/software-wiki/lilypond/

/\context {
    \Staff
    \name StaffThumlineTwo
    \alias Staff
    staffLineLayoutFunction = #ly:pitch-semitones
    \override StaffSymbol #'line-positions = #'( -6 0 6 12 18)
    \dashedStaffSymbolLines #'(0.5 . 0.7) #'( #f #t #f #t #f )
    \override StaffSymbol #'ledger-positions = #'( -6 (-4 -2) 0 (2 4) 6 )
    \override Stem #'no-stem-extend = ##t
    \remove "Accidental_engraver"
    \remove "Key_engraver"
    \override TimeSignature #'before-line-breaking = #(lambda (grob) (set!
(ly:grob-property grob 'Y-offset) 1))
    \numericTimeSignature
  }

  \context {
    \Staff
    \name StaffThumlineOne
    \alias Staff
    staffLineLayoutFunction = #ly:pitch-semitones
    \override StaffSymbol #'line-positions = #'( -6 0 6 )
    \dashedStaffSymbolLines #'(0.5 . 0.7) #'( #f #t #f )
    \override StaffSymbol #'ledger-positions = #'( -6 (-4 -2) 0 (2 4) 6 )
    \override Stem #'no-stem-extend = ##t
    \remove "Accidental_engraver"
    \remove "Key_engraver"
    \override TimeSignature #'before-line-breaking = #(lambda (grob) (set!
(ly:grob-property grob 'Y-offset) 1))
    \numericTimeSignature
  }  /

The biggest problem now is the ledger line thing, because i cant just paste
the text into the traditional staff, the "ledger lines" manual change will
mess up whatever staff it was supposed to be.

AND, when you take a closer look in the pdf, theres a place where the dashed
lines override each other when I change the line layout, so i might get some
spots of continous lines in some places where should be dashed...

So, the big deal now is:

Dashed ledger lines, very wide ones...
The pdf file generated by my exemple shows about what ill describe, except
for the internal ledger lines.
a more detailed description, note by note, upwards:

Internal ledger lines:

si do and di have no ledger lines
re has the first internal ledger lines
me has both internal ledger lines
mi has only the second ledger line
fa has no ledger line, it is close to the dashed one
fi and has no ledger line whatsoever
lu has the first ledger line of upper part
la has both ledger lines
se has the second ledger line of upper part
again, si do and di....

now the external ledger lines:

re and me have one ledger line (but me could have one above it, if its
easier to make that way, whatever)
mi has two lines
fa has NONE of those lines, it has the dashed line ABOVE it, that is wide,
possibly the whole bar?
same with fi and so, they are close to the extra dashed ledger line.
lu and la have the dashed-ledger and one ledger above the dashed.
se has the dashed-ledger and two ledgers above the dashed.
si and do, finally, have the dashed-ledger and a new continuous line for do
octave.

For yet another octave, same thing goes on, and also for downward ledgers.

So, i guess that its tricky to do that... Probably way above me very limited
skills.
With what I have, i could actually write many things, but if i ever want
them to go to traditional notation, them it would be a real mess!

Any ideas?