Re: How to use swing.scm in a .ly file

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: How to use swing.scm in a .ly file
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 08:57:22 -0500

Hi Guy,

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Guy Stalnaker <address@hidden> wrote:
All,

Thinking this should be simple to do I've now spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use the functions in swing.scm (https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/attachmentText?id=687&aid=6870029000&name=swing.scm&token=r8ZwHdiYCou-OG0e72qA0tUNAv0%3A1351867728273). I have copied the .scm file to the \scm directory where lilypond is installed. I then tried to use one of the functions in swing.scm yet lilypond says the function name is an unknown string.

The file needs to be loaded, so I believe you should add its name to the variable `init-scheme-files-body' in the file `scm\lily.scm'

<quote>

Parsing...

/Users/gstalnaker/Dropbox/Guy/Compositions/JustUs/Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight.ly:134:2: error: unknown escaped string: `\tripletFeel'

\tripletFeel 8 {

/Users/gstalnaker/Dropbox/Guy/Compositions/JustUs/Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight.ly:134:2: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
</quote>

 I tried to \include swing.scm but lilypond literally included the scheme contents and all of it was error.

Why not add # before the various functions and save it as an .ly file?  Then \include will work, and you won't have to make the changes above every time you upgrade.

HTH,
David