Re: lilypond not recognized

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: lilypond not recognized
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 19:03:19 +0000 (GMT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Roberts" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 5:16:06 PM

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:
> After solving a mysterious hardware problem I finally got my Windows 7 box up
> and running again.  I installed LilyPond 2.16.2-1 but it won't run from the
> CLI.  I get:
>
> 'lilypond' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.
>
> I have, in fact, edited the PATH to point to the /bin directory which
> contains LilyPond.  I don't ever recall having this problem before.  Before I
> had my recent computer problem I am sure that Lily was installed and working
> just fine.  The 'drag-n-drop' method works, but I would much rather use the
> CLI.

Are you using Cygwin?  (The fact that you wrote /bin makes me ask.)  For
cmd, adding C:\Program Files\lilypond\usr\bin to the path should be enough.

Because I dislike polluting my PATH, I have a c:\bin in the path, then I
add a file called lilypond.bat to that directory with
    @echo off
    "C:\Apps\Lilypond\usr\bin\lilypond.exe" %*

I *do* have cygwin installed but Lily won't run from a cygwin bash shell *or* a
Windows cmd.  I just took another look at my Environment variables and thought
I had found the culprit; an extra '\' in the PATH.  I also noticed that it is
called 'Path' rather than 'PATH'.  Will that have an effect?  AND; the varible
in the PATH is written with '\' rather than the '/' I used above.

Well....I looked again and found the problem.  The extra '\' I mentioned above
was part of the problem.  Apparently, I had a small cut/paste error leaving me
with '\\' and not 'C:\'.

It's fine now.  Thanks Tims for your responses.  It got me looking at the right
spot.

-David