Re: Feature Request: Chromatic note names

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Chromatic note names
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:58:08 -0700 (PDT)

Well.. i may still think in a way to get that compatibility.
But for now, i think i will use the chromatic names with dodecapitch thing,
and keep the tritones to be manually corrected whenever I need the
traditional staff. Hopefully never hahah!
I think it is easier than keep in mind all the correct alterations...

But, it HAS to be possible somehow. I mean, if you get a midi file, and drop
it into encore for exemple.
Encore often will show ALL the notes out of Cmaj as sharps, or all as flats.
When you select the correct key signature, it makes the adjustments.

So, maybe, if I export the chromatically written music to MIDI, open it with
encore or finale, adjust the key signature, then exporting back to musicXML,
then converting to lilypond again, and pasting in a traditional staff...
then i finally get the correct pitches and correct tritones??
Maybe that would work. Can you imagine a shorter way?

And, lets say i get it back to lilypond with the correct pitches /and
tritones/, but the notes enharmonically wrong according to the key signature
(lets say, e flats in a Emaj key, where should be d sharps).
Doesnt lilypond has an "smart" transpose function that enharmonically
changes notes?
So i could always "smart" transpose anything to C major, and then use the
normal transposition back to the desired key.

In the Emaj with e flat exemple, in Cmaj it would be a c flat, so the smart
transposer turns it into a B, then i use regular transposition to Emaj, and
b becomes d sharp...

Reading my own thoughts again, it sounds like a long and crazy way hahaha...
But also sounds possible. Ill try that soon.

Ill also see what I can do with the ledger lines, maybe I am able to write
such scheme.
But it seems that it will be tricky to get it working in \relative. much
easier to set it when using absolute notation.
I mean, i cant just make all fi's to add dashed ledger line, because some of
them will be the fi4 in the middle of staff, therefore no extra dashed
ledger line is needed...
It also depends on the octave that the staff is displaying, so i cant also
make all fi5 add a ledger line, because if i use the "5th octave" clef, it
will not be needed.

Well, it is not a big problem anymore, i actually found a way to get both
chromatic and traditional notations in the same file with the dodecapitch.
It would just make thing easier.

\version "2.16.0"
\language english

<dodecapitch snippet>

music in chromatic staff

\version "2.16.0"
\language english

<NO dodecapitch snippet>

same music pasted here, in traditional staff

its like starting a new file in the same page.. So when I click engrave, it
displays both. This way the empty variables also work in the second part!