Re: cannot shift position of voice in polyphony

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: cannot shift position of voice in polyphony
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 23:42:12 +0100

Urs Liska wrote Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:24 PM

> To clarify:
>
> Your original command does _not_ shift a note but (as the name tells) a note
> column. When you don't specify different voices both notes are in the same
> column and are shifted _together_.

Not quite.  The << \\ >> construct places the notes in separate voices anyway.
Notes at the same musical moment in different voices are placed in the same
NoteColumn when the stems are in the same direction and they have the same
shift.   The \stemDown command puts the stem of the notes in VoiceOne down, the
same as VoiceTwo, and these have the same shift, so they clash.  If you need
both stems down, use \shiftOn in one of the voices rather than overriding
'force-hshift.

Trevor