Re: Tempo marking pushes rehearsal mark far above the staff

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Tempo marking pushes rehearsal mark far above the staff
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 18:20:37 -0700

On Sun, 19 May 2013 17:25:32 -0700, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Keith,

I'm proposing to make a full self-consistent set of overrides be the new default
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3279>

How's that going?

I pushed the change, but then reversed it when I found out that the cool people
keep such things in a file:
1. Lilypond.ily
-- basic settings [that really should be Lilypond defaults!]

For the record, here's an example of why I want to be able to say
"this grob [e.g., BarNumber] is allowed to slide left or right to avoid a
collision,
but not up or down":

LilyPond determines first where the bar number goes on the bar-line, then how
much space the bar-line needs when spacing the notes.  There is not a mechanism
to move the bar number later, though Mike made one for moving dynamics
horizontally away from stems.  We can, of course, to the analogous thing for
BarNumbers as we did for MetronomeMarks and allow space for them in
note-spacing.

In my opinion, the above is truly — and unnecessarily — unfortunate output.

That is what you get when you override some of the defaults, but don't take the
time to find others you maybe should have adjusted.