Re: Files from Lilypond workshop @ LAC 2013

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Files from Lilypond workshop @ LAC 2013
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 13:18:47 +0200

luis jure <address@hidden> writes:

> on 2013-05-21 at 07:02 Helge Kruse wrote:
>
>> At page 13 we read that letters are notes. At page 20 letters migrate to
>> pitches. I think the latter is correct.
>
> i disagree. letters are notes, not pitches. in lilypond, letter c is note
> C (do, ut, whatever), and letters cis are note C sharp. the pitch depends
> on the octave (which in lilypond depends on the context) and eventually
> also on the transposition. also, if you play middle C on a piano, it's the
> same pitch as B sharp or D double flat, but they are different notes.
>
> so the first slide (letters are notes) is correct, in my opinion, and the
> second (letters are pitches) is wrong.

It would seem that you associate the term "pitch" with physical
frequency.  That is not how LilyPond uses the term (though indeed the
respective "music glossary" entry leaves something to be desired
regarding clearing that up).

<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/pitches>

A "note" is more than a pitch: it has duration, articulations, etc.
Indeed, if I ask the Scheme sandbox:

$ lilypond scheme-sandbox
GNU LilyPond 2.17.12
Processing `/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.17.12/ly/scheme-sandbox.ly'
Parsing...
guile> #{ c #}
#<Pitch c >
guile> #{ c4 #}
#<Prob: Music C++: Music((duration . #<Duration 4 >) (pitch . #<Pitch c >)
(origin . #<location <string>:2:2>))((display-methods #<procedure #f (note
parser)>) (name . NoteEvent) (iterator-ctor . #<primitive-procedure
ly:rhythmic-music-iterator::constructor>) (types general-music event note-event
rhythmic-event melodic-event)) >

guile>

It also considers "c" just a pitch (composed from octave, notename and
alteration), while "c4" is a complete note.

--
David Kastrup