Re: Left align first word of lyrics

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Left align first word of lyrics
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 13:53:53 +0200 (CEST)

So the lyrics are supposed to be aligned as a block first which is then centered on the note.

Exactly.

I think that the current machinery is rather working by aligning everything independently to the note in question.

Indeed.

That would place the prealignment of the lyrics into the "seriously tricky" realm. So it is quite possible that you'll not get any "off the cuff" elegant solution for this.

A good solution is also constrained by the alignment only being possible when the lyrics have been turned into stencils, and that happens depending on the text font defaults at the time of typesetting.

A tedious solution is likely doable where you basically specify something like

\syllable #1 { Cccc Ccccc Cc Ccc c }
in the first stanza,
\syllable #2 { Cccc Ccccc Cc Ccc c }

in the second stanza and so on: then each stanza would typeset the whole column, align it, and pick out the right row.

That's an interesting idea. A bit tedious as you write, but better than nothing however. Am I right that the \syllable primitive is not part of LilyPond, and that this is just an idea of yours?

Best,

Gregory