Re: Lyric after staff?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lyric after staff?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:04:47 +0200

Gregory Heytings <address@hidden> writes:

>> A mixture would be
>>
>> \score {
>>  \new Staff <<
>>    \new Voice = A { c' d' e' d' \bar "|." \stopStaff }
>>    \lyrics \with { associatedVoice = "A" }
>>    { A-4 ve Cae- sar, \unset associatedVoice "morituri te salutant." }
>>  >>
>> }
>>

> That's a good solution, albeit tricky...  Thanks a lot!
>

>> The problem with \lyricsto is that it also tells LilyPond to pick
>> off the rhythm from the associated Voice, and then LilyPond lets the
>> lyrics die together with the associated Voice.
>>

> Yes, I understand this.  I think I would personally prefer that the
> lyrics "too much" be put after the scores (and perhaps a warning
> issued).  After all there is no reason to have them disappear without
> errors.

Well, that sounds good in theory.  And it might make a reasonable issue
request.  However, the code in question, mostly allocated in
lily/lyric-combine-music-iterator.cc, is not exactly well-understood as
the longevity and weirdness of
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2010> may
illustrate.  I've spent about a week concerning this particular issue
already on the code without having anything to show for it.

--
David Kastrup