Re: general help

From: Ursus
Subject: Re: general help
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 07:16:22 -0700 (PDT)

From: [hidden email]
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:06 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ursus" <<A href="" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]>
To: <<A href="" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:24 PM
Subject: general help

> lilypond 2.16.2
> on windows 7
> score generated with frescobaldy 2.0.8
>
> During the last months I have been learning to work with lilypond.
> I now started with a song by Debussy. partly because I need the score and
> partly because the score needs many complex tweaks.
>
> I have one specific question and one general.
> In bar 26, on the right hand of the piano the original has an 8octava. I
> tried the \ottava #1, but on this part in the score it will not eccept
> this.
> While further on, where it uses 8vb, it does accept \ottava #-1.
> What is the matter with measure 26?
>
> And in general, I would like feedback on how to improve my score. Please
> be
> as verbose as possible.
> The score looks as wanted, but any shortcomings I would like to know..
>
> The score is 34 measures, piano with one voice. It is 9kb and can be
> downloaded from
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30381737/spleen.ly
> Thanks in advance

I can make the ottavation work perfectly - could you provide the code that
fails, please?

As to style - if I were typesetting this, I would not use all the implied
voice constructs << { } \\ {} >>.  I would set each voice as its own
variable and then explicitly set the voicing and use \new Voice within a
staff - this way you can have more control of whether you select voiceOne,
voiceTwo, voiceThree, etc.  But this is personal preference.

--
Phil Holmes

=-=

I retried this, but the \ottava now works. don’t know what happened earlier, but spent quite some time
looking into the matter before deciding to use the clef. Now all seems OK.

I will look further into the differences between <<{}\\{}>> and \new voice

Thanks, Erik