emacs lilypond-mode installation

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: emacs lilypond-mode installation
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:19:29 +0100

Dear LilyPond users,

A friend recently persuaded me to try emacs for text editing (LaTeX + LilyPond), however I can't quite understand the instructions for installing lilypond-mode, as outlined here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/usage/text-editor-support

'An Emacs mode for entering music and running LilyPond is contained in the source archive in the ‘elisp’ directory. Do make install to install it to elispdir.'

What exactly is the source archive? The download seems to be a shell script. Does it mean the lilypond folder in /usr/local/? I did find a folder called elisp (actually there seem to be several on my computer since guile 2.0 comes with Ubuntu) in /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/guile/1.8/lang/elisp/ but doing a make install only gave an error ('make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.'). Should I be looking somewhere else? There is an emacs folder in /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/emacs/ which seems to contain some of the files mentioned in the instructions in the documentation, but I don't understand them: there's no folder anywhere on my computer called elispdir, and I don't know what a load-path is. Do I just need to add a line to the ~/.emacs file pointing to this folder?

K.