Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 126, Issue 150

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 126, Issue 150
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:10:29 +0100

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:33:01 +0200
From: Hanns Holger Rutz <address@hidden>
To: lilypond-user <address@hidden>
Subject: top-aligned superscriptions

hi,

how can I enforce superscriptions to be vertically aligned? e.g.

r32^\markup { \raise #10 \italic { Cell }} c'32^\markup { \raise #10 \italic {
Cell }}

the `raise` doesn't seem to have any effect, the two words "Cell" appear right
above the rest and the note at different vertical positions.

I need to have text annotations which appear always top-aligned (no matter
whether there are tuplet bars etc.)

thanks, .h.h.

\raise only works if there is something that comes before it in the markup, so if you want to begin a \markup block with \raise you have to put \null in front of it, so

r32\markup { \null \raise #10 }

should work. Harm's suggestion of setting the staff-padding property is more efficient if you intend to line up many markups (although it's not always optimal - letters that go below the line, like j or y will not behave as you might want). A further option would be to put the words in some kind of lyric context, which would line them up perfectly, but may be more tricky depending on what you're trying to do.

K.