Re: Feature Request: Chromatic note names - Good News

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Chromatic note names - Good News
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:08:59 -0700 (PDT)

I have found a way to make both staffs become compatible. (all tritones go
down)
It is a fairly big workaround, but works!
I kind of followed my previous idea.

> So, maybe, if I export the chromatically written music to MIDI, open it
> with encore or finale, adjust the key signature, then exporting back to
> musicXML, then converting to lilypond again, and pasting in a traditional
> staff... then i finally get the correct pitches and correct tritones??
> Maybe that would work. Can you imagine a shorter way?
>
> And, lets say i get it back to lilypond with the correct pitches and
> tritones, but the notes enharmonically wrong according to the key
> signature (lets say, e flats in a Emaj key, where should be d sharps).
> Doesnt lilypond has an "smart" transpose function that enharmonically
> changes notes?
> So i could always "smart" transpose anything to C major, and then use the
> normal transposition back to the desired key.

For short, i exported to MIDI, then imported back, and "smart" transposed
it.

All files I refer to:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/ppnXDzKl/Lilypond.html

What I did:
I wrote an F# scale using the dodecapitchnames snippet, chromatic staff, etc
[dodecatest.ly]
I used the \midi { } function to get a .mid file [dodecatest.mid], then used
the midi2ly to get it back [dodecatest-midi.ly].
Then I used the smart transpose to get it transformed into a Gb scale
[dodecatest-midi-smarttranspose.ly]

--------------------------------------

Theres an exemple of what happens if i just copy and paste the music
expression into a regular staff [dodecatest-unconverted.ly]. Tritones go in
the augmented fourth way, octaves get messed up.

So, in the middle of the process I opened the dodecatest.mid with Encore.
At first it shows the right pitches, but names enharmonically wrong.
[dodecatest-enc-asopens.enc]
I only set the key signature to Gb and it displays correctly
[dodecatest-enc-gflat.enc]
It could be set to any key signature, or transposed, works fine. As you
propably have no Encore, there is a screenshot
[dodecatest-enc-printscreen.jpg]

In portuguese, this would be called a "gambiarra". Here are two good
definitions of gambiarra:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n146458/gambiarra.jpg>
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n146458/gambiarra01.09-05-08.jpg>

Conclusions:

Well, the smart transpose isnt as smart as Encore. It displays as B what
should be a Cb in the key of Gb.  I could possibly use Finale for a better
looking engraving then Encore, and still have the Cb.
But having the midi with correct pitches is a victory already.

Doing it the other way around is much easier, as i can just copy&paste the
same music expression, and use the "staffLineLayoutFunction" approach. The
"dodecaPitchNames" would mess up the tritones in the opposite way.

Although I have used the regular english note names (for not having to send
you modified language files), i could very well have set \language chromatic
and used do di re me mi (...), and it would have worked too (it just sets
all "black keys" as sharps, or flats, or whatever i set).

So this still leaves the automatic ledger lines thing to be solved, I still
haven't figured out how. And I'm not so much optimist that I will, as I'm
starting to think that it is something beyond my skills.
And, maybe there's a shorter way then ly-midi-ly conversion...