Re: Vertical position of rests on a custom staff

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Vertical position of rests on a custom staff
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 11:48:15 -0400

"To conclude the saga..."  Thanks to David Kastrup's tip my function can now
automatically position all rests and their dots where they need to be, no
matter what voice they are in.  Once again LilyPond can handle just about
anything.  See attached file.

I'm now curious about the difference between using "ly:grob-property-data" and
"ly:grob-property."   The docs say:

  Function: ly:grob-property grob sym val
  Return the value for property sym of grob. If no value is found, return val
or '() if val is not specified.

  Function: ly:grob-property-data grob sym
  Return the value for property sym of grob, but do not process callbacks.

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/internals/scheme-functions

I assume this means that if a property is set to a function rather than a
static value, then ly:grob-property would process the function to return a
value, but ly:grob-property-data would not.  Is that right?

Thanks again,
-Paul Morris