Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 00:11:41 +0200

Hi,

2013/6/5 Joshua Krämer <address@hidden>:
> Hello list!
>
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 22:23:24 +0100, Werner LEMBERG has written:
>> Besides a font with similar functionality as Minion, I would like to
>> find a font which resembles the `classical' text font used about 100
>> years ago in Germany for virtually all vocal scores (see attachment).
>
> This typeface style is known as "Scotch".  A high-quality, free Scotch
> type-family is "Old Standard".  It covers a wide range of Latin, Greek
> and Cyrillic characters and is rather condensed.  Thus, it may be close
> to what you are looking for.  Because the family is released under the
> SIL Open Font Licence, it would also be possible to adjust it, if
> necessary (e. g. make it heavier).
>
> http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/oldstandard.html

Thanks for letting us know.
I've tried it (only on the screen, no time to visit print shop for a
high quality print :( ); it is in fact very similar in shape to
Century (except that it's significantly narrower).  Unfortunately, in
my opinion it's too thin, so it would need to be modified - this would
be a nice project, but i don't think we have money to spare...

best,
Janek